Quick  Bites
- Low humidity in winters makes our skin go dry
- It's a nightmare to deal with dry weather and dry skin  With correct information on skin care, these issues may be avoided
Winter is here! Though the days are sunny and nights are cold, it is the low humidity which makes our skin go dry. It is a nightmare for most of us to deal with dry weather and dry skin. With a wide array of products on the market, it is quite confusing to choose one and to choose one right for us. Additionally, we may choose the best of products, but you may not get the desired effect. We may end up with dry skin and a whole lot of problems related to it.
Moisturisers are formulations.
Also read: Moisturizers are formulations which help about 10-30% water content of the skin. Moisturizers replace the natural skin oils, cover tiny fissures and provide a protective film on the skin.
As we age, we loose skin hydration. People on medication for cholesterol and hypothyroid develop dry skin which tends to worsen during the winter. Diabetics are more prone to dry itchy skin. Some of the skin diseases like psoriasis, eczema, atopic dermatitis so worsen during the winter. Dandruff worsens too.
With correct information on skin care, these issues may be avoided. Here are some tips on how to treat your skin and hair during the winter.
- Use two moisturizers, one light one for one face and one for one's body.
- Always use moisturizer on wet skin, as most
- Reactive moisturizer again in the evening, but after wetting skin and pat drying.
- Oils can be used for body. The best would be virgin or cold pressed variety.
- In skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema or atopic dermatitis moisturisers can help to calm down irritating and irritating.
- For sensitive skin or conditions like rosacea using a bland, a little thicker, fragrance free moisturizer for face and mild soaps helps significantly.
- Do not forget to hydrate lips. Lips are very delicate structures and do not have oil glands.
- Though exposure to the sun might be warm and welcoming, using sunscreen while going out in sunlight is wise, as chances of getting sunburnt are high.
- Dandruff tends to worsen in winters.
- A fresh hydrated look can give anti-aging effect too! Skin loose hydration as we age. Regular use of moisturizers and sunscreen are in fact the first step in any anti-aging treatments.
Things which can worsen skin and hair during winters
- Harsh soaps. A harsh soap is one which dries out after a bath.
- Failing to moisturize after a bath. The habit of applying oil is good, but the moisturizer is applied after a bath. Oil is applied before bath, skin can still go dry.
- Thick oils over the face. Oil can block and cause breakouts.
- Exposing skin and hair while traveling.
Hope with these tips you can enjoy the winter as well as asglowing healthy skin and hair.
Author: Dr. Sushmita Dhavan, Dermatologist & Aesthetic surgeon, Aster CMI Hospital, Bangalore
Written by: Arushi Bidhuri
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 14, 2019