Update: More and more people have become ill after eating ground beef contaminated with salmonella, although the beef meat products were recalled by JBS Tolleson, Inc. last month and were the most likely cause of the outbreak.
According to a new CDC report from the onset of bacteria has now been extended to 246 people in 25 states . The first investigation report on October 4 included 57 people and 16 states. Well, 63 new patients and six states were added in an update of October 23 and this week 1
As the investigation widens, the CDC has learned more about who is affected by the disease and how. The youngest infected person is under one year old and the oldest person is 88 years old, with an average age of 38 years. Just over half (56 percent) are men. About one in three (35 percent) was hospitalized based on the available data from 168 patients. Interviews with 137 of the patients show that 90 percent (123) ate the ground beef at home.
Fortunately, no deaths were reported and the CDC lab tests with 180 bacterial isolates have not found antibiotic resistance.
19659006] But as the CDC notes, there is an average delay of two to four weeks between the time someone falls ill and the time the case is reported that there are more cases during the investigation to be experienced. 19659007] Original Report (October 4, 2018):
Only Last Week Cargill Meat Solutions recalled over 25,000 pounds of raw ground beef due to fears of E. coli. But check your freezer again, with Arizona-based JBS Tolleson, Inc. currently withdrawing 3,250 tons (6,500,966 pounds) of raw beef products that may be contaminated with salmonella.
There were 57 cases of salmonella infections associated with JBS beef in 16 states, according to a study by the United States Department of Agriculture (Food Safety and Inspection Service, FSIS).
The investigations started on September 5 showed receipts and buyer card numbers of eight people who came later. After buying these special products, the FSIS became ill, the FSIS said in a press release of 19459256.
"FSIS, the centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Government Health and Agriculture Partners It has now been established that raw ground beef is the likely source of reported disease, "states the press release, which also found that the illness was between 5 August and 1 June Traceback has identified ed JBS as a joint supplier of ground beef products. "
Products that were packaged between July 26 and September 7, 2018 and delivered to the country's stores include several ground beef types. Look for "EST 267" in the USDA mark according to FSIS to determine if your product can be recalled. The full list can be found here .
Salmonella is an extremely common bacterial infection that can cause nasty symptoms, but is usually short and non-life threatening, as reported by SELF before
The symptoms usually start between 12 and 72 hours after you've eaten something contaminated to have. These symptoms may include:
- stomach cramps
Fortunately, most healthy adults recover after four to seven days if they feel unwell Feel more than just stay hydrated and rest at home.
However, some people, including young children, pregnant women, the elderly and immunocompromised people, are at greater risk of developing complications requiring medical attention. The treatment usually includes antibiotics, drugs for diarrhea or infusions against dehydration.
If your symptoms persist or worsen, you may have difficulty staying hydrated, seeing blood in your stool, or not feeling better. After a few days, you should contact your doctor.
The FSIS advises anyone who has bought these products either to eject them or to bring them to the store where they bought them.
The concern is that these are the products that can be stored in the freezers of people. As a reminder, FSIS recommends anyone to cook their ground beef products at an interior temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit to kill potentially harmful bacteria such as salmonella. (All other cuts must have reached an interior temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit and allowed to rest for three minutes after cooking.)
So you do not have to go without your burger, but you must practice simple meat safety rules before chowdown.