Advertising – read below
For a legendary set of abdominal muscles, consider this killer train after the most powerful mythical animal, the dragon. After training you may not breathe flames – but your core will definitely feel like it's burning.
Men's Health Fitness Director Ebenezer Samuel, C.S.C.S., uses hang-gliders to challenge his midsection and shake his belly work on his less-well-trained days. You can use the turn to play a hard game with yourself calling Samuel "20 Ticks of Dragon".
"This game is for fun," says Samuel, "even though it's pretty effective in frying your core."
To play the Dragon Flag game, all you need is a sturdy weight bench that supports your frame. If you want to try this at home, try out this adjustable bank of CAP Barbell or one of these options.
In the Dragon Flag position, do the following:
- Lay your back flat on the bench.
- Grab your hands behind your head, brace yourself, lift your legs and lower your back straight up.
- Keep your shoulders on the bench and create a straight line with your body, from the neck to the toes.
- Squeeze your abs together to keep your posture in line.
This is just the beginning of the fun. You have to do more than just hold your position for the game. To play, go into dragon position and get ready for flapping:
- Perform a controlled flutter, then hold it down for 1 second.
- Perform 2 controlled flutter rides and then 2 seconds. 19659009] Perform 3 controlled flutter steps, then for 3 seconds.
- Climb up the ladder until you can no longer hold the position.
We may call this training a game, but not for the faint-hearted. "That's about 4 or 5 in the countdown," Samuel admits. "It's more complicated than it looks, and you'll face a major challenge if you retune your kite every time."
Try 3 sets of the game until you fail at the end of your workout – if you dare to face the dragon.