Advertising – Below
Breast day is for some the best day of the week – but you are wasting a perfect opportunity for extra profits if you spend your entire session on the bench with just a barbell.
Men's Health Fitness Director Ebenezer Samuel, C.S.C.S., programs most of his workouts so that he hits multiple muscle groups rather than isolating a single area. For this routine, this means beating the chest and abdominal muscles one swap at a time for an even more sculpted torso.
"There's a lot of volume in this workout game," Samuels advises. "In particular, the last superset will tax and define your abdominal muscles as they emanate from your chest."
To perform the abdominal and abdominal muscle sessions, you will need a weight bench, barbell, dumbbells and resistance bands. So it's best to save this for the gym. If you need a solid set of resistance bands, try them out from WODFitters.
Ab repper workout on the chest
Bench press with dumbbell / barbell
2. IG-slide; 4 sets of 8-10 repetitions, half a half press of the bench until technical failure
Start with a dumbbell bench press. "You want to move big weights early, so challenge yourself with the dumbbell presses (with a good shape)," says Samuel.
After each set of dumbbell presses, place yourself under a weight bench to get a drop set to failure. However, these are not standard repetitions. For each complete repetition, do two half repetitions there until you fail.
"At the end of the barbell, make yourself light enough so you can really watch what your ribs on the bench are doing," says Samuel. "Your ribs should not spread out here, bend your abdominal muscles tight to handle them."
Standard-to-one-arm inclination press
3. IG Slide; 4 sets of 6 reps
- Get on a slanted bench with a group of dumbbells.
- Do a normal repetition with both arms and then repeat only with your right arm.
- Perform a normal repetition, then a repetition with the left arm.
"This workout is all about" work. "It's about balancing your core with constantly changing rotational forces, and that starts here," he tells Samuel. "You need to push up that heavy weight, but you want to keep your core taut, and if you find your body turning a ton during this exercise, you're getting too heavy. "
Advertisement – Read More Below
Resistance Band Kneeling Break Flies
4. IG-shifter; 3 sets of 10 to 12 repetitions
- Attach two resistance strips parallel to each other to a power rack or tower.
- Kneel in between the platforms and take a tape in each hand.
- Press your pectoral muscles and support your core to bring the ligaments together.
Do not worry if you do not have tapes – a cable machine works too – but Samuel claims you will work better with them.
"With ligaments, you can squeeze out your chest muscles better, they offer more resistance when stretched, and your chest responds to that feedback," he says. "If you have the squeeze, and you also have that big, kneeling body position, bend your buttock muscles and pull your abs together to stay upright."
5. IG-carriage; Perform a full superset with each arm. That means you go straight from the one-arm press to the one-arm fly without changing sides.
Eccentric Focus Hollow Single Arm
10 to 12 reps
- Place a hollow body posture and a dumbbell in your left arm on the floor, stretching your right arm.
- Perform 8 repetitions and push your core to keep your balance.
"Your chest is all about concentration and connection between mind and muscle," says Samuel. "Actually control the tempo as you lower the eccentric hollow body press, you want your core and chest to fight through it, so you do not take light steps."
Hollow Body Resistance Band Single-Arm Fly
- Attach a resistance band to a low anchor.
- Lie on the floor in a hollow body position and hold the band with your left hand.
- Push the chest together to pull the band back through the chest, supporting your core to stay in balance.
"Work on really squeezing your chest while at the same time firing your shields hard enough to maintain the stable hollow body position," Samuel advises. "There's a lot going on for your body in this last superset, so stay mentally focused."