It seems that not so healthy foods are the only things that can be fun in the fall. You will see thousands of recipes for pumpkin cupcakes and candy corn biscuits, but what if you want to have some festive fall flavor and still stay healthy? Fortunately, many of the flavors of autumn are also healthy superfoods. Stick your autumn kitchen with sweet potatoes, pumpkin, cranberries and nuts, and you can enjoy the taste of the harvest while you still stay on track.
This quinoa salad is a great way to serve at your upcoming fall get-together. Wholegrain, protein-packed quinoa serves as the basis for this sweet and salty salad that can be served hot or cold.
Roasted autumnal quinoa salad
Makes 6 servings
For the salad
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 19659009] 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large apples, gutted and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup roasted chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 19659009] 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste  Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 ° C. Lay out a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside
- Broth in a saucepan over medium heat until it boils. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat and simmer until quinoa is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Toss the sweet potatoes, apples, onions and garlic together. Whisk cinnamon, salt, pepper and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour over sweet potato mixture and toss to coat. Spread the mixture in a layer on the prepared baking tray. 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven or until all vegetables are tender.
- To prepare the dressing, mix well all ingredients together.
- To make the salad, mix the quinoa, roasted vegetables, cranberries, walnuts and dressing until well combined. Serve immediately or in the refrigerator and serve cold or heat and warm for a more intense flavor.
Diet Per Serving: 340 calories, 13.2 grams of fat, 48.8 grams of carbs, 9 grams of protein
What's your favorite meal in the fall?