The Mullet Workout
There's a joke about a mullet haircut: business in the front, party in the back. The programming framework below is kind-of-like that mullet – physique-oriented up-top (upper-body) and performance-oriented down below (lower-body). Call it "The Mullet Workout."
- The upper-body aspects of the program are designed to maximize muscular development.
- The lower-body portion is designed to maximize explosiveness and power-endurance.
I've been using this programming for several years. Workout Overview
This program involves training four times per week, with no more than two consecutive training days to allow for rest and recovery. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
This program does not involve training more than four times a week because it is a recreational athlete or weekend warrior and are regularly (once or twice a week) playing or practicing a sport.
That means you should be spending less time in the gym than the guy who is just interested in working out.
training focus and theme split:
- Day 1
- Day 2: Chest and Back – Bodybuilding
- Day 3: Lower Body – Power / Endurance
- Day 4: Arms and Shoulders – Bod ybuilding
Here's a sample workout, followed by an explanation of the finer points.
Sample Mullet Workout
Perform B, C, and E exercises as tri-sets and perform D and F exercises as paired sets. Perform all indicated sets and reps in a given tri-set or paired set before moving on to the next set.
Day 1: Lower-Body – Strength and Power
|Exercise||Sets [more info] 19659026] Reps||Rest|
|A||Sprint||5-8||20-30 y.||30 sec.|
|B1||Barbell Romanian Deadlift (RDL) ||5-6||45 sec.|
|B2||Broad Jump (for distance)||4||3-4|
|B3||Fast-Hands Plank||4||15-20 sec.||2-3 min.|
|C1||Dumbbell Reverse Lung (angled torso)||3||6-8||45 sec.|
|C2||Lateral Bench Jump||3||8-10 / side|
|C3||Reverse Crunch||3||10-15||2-3 min.|
|D1||Reverse Sled Drag||3||40-50 y.||5 min.|
|D2||W Alking Dumbbell Calf Raise||3||50-60 y||2-3 min|
|E1||Lying Leg Curl Machine||3||8-12|
|E2||Seated Hip Adduction Machine||3||8-12|
|E3||Arm Walkout||3||5-8||2-3 min.|
|F1||Horizontal Cable Chop with Hip Shift||2||10-12 / side|
|F2||Two-Point Horizontal Cable Chop||2||8-10 / side||2-3 min.|
- For the sprints, jog up to the start cone and then sprint back as fast as you can.
- B2 and B3 and C2 and C3 are what's known as contrast sets. On the heavy-lift portion, perform the concentric lifting portion of each rep as forcefully as you can while maintaining the optimal technique. Maintain good control during the eccentric (lowering) portion as well.
- Perform the explosive portion as powerfully and as fast as you can. If the exercise involves jumping, land as quietly as possible.
- Day Two: Refer to Dynamic Training for Absence and Obligations for how to do F1 and F2 (the horizontal cable chops variation). Chest and Back
Exercise Sets Reps Rest A Chin-Up or Pull-Up 4 6-10  B1 One-Arm Dumbbell Row 4 8-10 B2 Dumbbell Bench Press or Plate Load Machine Chest Press 4  8-10 2-3 min. C1 Seated Row 3 10-15 C2 1.5 Feet on Bench Push -Up 3 Max 2-3 min. D1 Dumbbell Pullover 3 12-15 D2 Dumbbell Rear- Delt Flye 3 12-15 2-3 min. E1 One-arm Cable Pec Flye  3 12-15 Place the cable outside your same-side shoulder. E2 Cable Shoulder External Rotation 3 12-15 2 -3 min.
- Focus on the working muscles in each exercise and maintaining strict form without cheating. Perform the concentric (lifting) portion of each rep at a normal rate and maintain control during the eccentric (lowering) portion.
- ] On the 1.5 feet on bench push-up, go down all the way, come back halfway, go all the way down, and come up all the way. That's one rep!
Day 3: Lower Body – Power / Endurance
Exercise Sets Reps Rest A 300-Yard Shuttle 4 years Leg Complex B1 Superband Speed Squat 2-3 20-24 Move as fast B2 In-Place Lung (alternate legs) 2-3 10-12 / side [PleaseNotice:Thisisanautomaticallytranslatedarticle!Squadjump 2-3 10-12 B4 Small box Scissor Jump 2-3 20-24 / side 3-5 min. Stability- Use your footsteps to propel each jump. Ball Hamstring / Glute and Ab Complex C1 Stability Ball Leg Curl 2-3 20 C2 Stability-B All Hip Bridge 2-3 10 C3 Stability Ball Straight Leg Hip Lift (toes on ball) 2-3 14-20  C4 Stability-Ball Plate Crunch 2-3 12-15 C5 Stability-Ball Pike 2-3 10- 15 C6 Stability Ball Stir the Pot 2.0 2-3 8-12 3-5 min
- On the 300th yard shuttle, place two cones 25 yards apart. Jog up to the start cone and then sprint as fast as you can back and forth between the cones. On each reversal of direction, touch the cone, alternating hands from one touch to the next. Six round-trips equals 300 yards.
- Day 4: Arms and Shoulders
- Refer to 7 Triple Threat Protocols for Awesome Burn for details on the stability-ball hamstring complex and the ab complex.
Bodybuilding) Exercise Sets Reps Rest A1 Low-Cable Upright Row 3 15-20 A2 Triceps Rope Pressdown 3 10-15 2-3 min. B1 Low-Cable Triceps Kickback 3 10-15 / side  B2 Low-Cable Front Raise 3 10-15 / side B3 Dumbbell Biceps Curl 3 10-15  2-3 min. C1 Low-Cable Side Shoulder Raise 3 10-15 / side C2 Low-Cable Face Away Biceps Curl  3 10-15 / side C3 Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extension  3 10-15 2-3 min. D1 Suspension Trainer Skull Crusher 3 10-15 D2 Suspension Trainer Biceps Curl 3 10-15 D3 Dumbbell Side Lying Rear-Delt Fly 3 10-15 2-3 min. E1 Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2 15-20 E2 Dumbbell Farmers Walk 2 50-90 sec. 2-3 min. Coaching Notes: Same as Day 2.
The Rational Behind the Program
Every training day in the workout uses exercises strategically to develop what I call "full-range strength." But I have separate philosophies regarding lower-body and upper-body workouts.
Lower Body Workouts
Both lower-body workouts also incorporate abdominal training.
The beginning of a lower-body workout is a strength and power theme that involves some basic plyometrics.
You start with a set of fairly heavy lifts (4-6 reps) and follow it up about 45 seconds later with an unloaded explosive exercise using the same movement pattern and roughly the same number of reps.
The heavier the load you're working against, the slower your movement is getting to become. But to improve your explosive power, you do not just do that.
As such, contrast training gives you a simple way to train strength and power (rate of force development) simultaneously.
Keep in mind, this program is for recreational athletes, which is why it does not just copy what powerlifters do. The principles of specificity dictates that different training approaches and no one training approach is best for all goals.
And while the strength and power training methods are used in day 1, they are not so great for improving your power endurance (the capacity
In other words, traditional strength and power training methods do not prepare you to go five rounds or beat your opponent to the ball at the end of the fourth quarter. However, the training methods in the day are not as much as they are endowed with.
Upper Body Workouts
19659002] Both upper-body workouts are more like traditional bodybuilding. They're more volume oriented and the exercises involve about 9-15 reps per set. So, they're more about getting a great muscle pump.
The Hybrid Athlete Program
Look Like a Bodybuilder, Perform Like an Athlete