What is a megaformer?
"Post your mega and challenge yourself" is the usual email subject line I receive in my inbox. It is a good memory to put my thoughts into a training game and to sweat in a great way.
You may wonder, what the hell is a mega ?! In short, "Mega" refers to a megaformer, which is a type of fitness equipment that is performed in a group class by performing Pilates-based exercises in HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) style. I've visited some wonderful mega classes and accomplished 3 things …
# 1: Mega classes are pretty expensive to do several sessions a week.
# 2: Although more and more mega-studios are appearing, most of them can be found in larger cities, making it difficult to find these devices if you are not near one.
# 3: The Megaformer device encourages movements that combine strength, cardio, pilates and core activation. All of this can be simulated in your Total Gym and conveniently from home.
So, why not learn the concept and do a Megaformer workout with your Total Gym alone ?!
Differences in Pilates-based Devices
Fitness devices come in all shapes, sizes and with different characteristics that separate them. Comparing the differences between three Pilates-based devices: the classic reformer, the megaformer, and the total gym, all three share similar features and functions. They all have a sliding carriage and use cables to strengthen your muscles while providing targeted body alignment.
These three machines also exhibit many differences, which are described below:
Megaformer – The Megaformer equipment and the Lagree method were designed by Sebastien Lagree. The method combines the power of Pilates with cardio in a way that has little impact.
Total Gym – The Total Gym is your one-stop-shop home fitness machine that lets you simulate every fitness method for strength, racetracks, Pilates, yoga, flexibility, "Megas".
All of these amazing devices focus on improving functional strength, muscle endurance, cardiovascular health, flexibility, balance and coordination.
METHOD OF MURDERING
Knowing how to master the method in your Total Gym can greatly affect the outcome of your workout. The sliding board (also known as the cart) makes it difficult to practice low-impact lunge or floorboards by increasing instability along with your Total Gym's chosen incline. Your tiny muscles are activated to stabilize you.
MEGA MEGA MOVEMENT FORMEGA
There are a few things to keep in mind to properly perform this type of workout in your Total Gym. Read the video before testing the training to understand how these concepts are implemented in your Total Gym.
- Slow Speed – Perform each exercise super slow as in slow motion.
- Static Hold – Hold a position without movement for a specified period of time.
- Pelvis Bend & Engage Core – Make a small pelvic bend to bring your ribs towards your hipbones. This supports the lower spine. Your abdominal muscles drive you through the exercises, so make sure they are always busy.
- Correct shoulder alignment in planks – In a plank position, make sure that the shoulders are stacked over the wrists and upper arm. Neck is positioned long without jamming.
- Proper knee alignment for lunges / squats – Pay attention to your knees when performing lunges and squats. Never lock them off and always let them track their toes when they are moving to avoid stressing the joints.
- Intensity Levels: Gradient vs. the tendency to properly challenge your muscles. The slope intensity depends on the exercise.
* CHECK THE VIDEO TO LEARN YOUR OWN MEGA FORM ON YOUR OVERALL GYM in a MEGA mode. I've created a special 6-part workout series of "Mega Moves" that will rock your body to the right.
It's the ultimate training sequence that combines core, strength, stamina, balance and flexibility in one workout. It's effective because the exercises combine all of these elements simultaneously while the body has to move in all levels of movement.
Here is a look at the training series:
Park 1: PROPER FORM (current blog)
Part 2: MEGA LEG MOVES
Part 3: MEGA CORE MOVES
Part 4: MEGA ARMS
Part 5: MEGA CARDIO MOVES
Part 6: TOTAL MEGA BODY
I've divided each training into categories to focus on a specific training goal. As a rule, a Megaformer course lasts 30-45 minutes. For this Mega Moves series you determine your training time and then plan it according to the training duration and the specified times.
The workouts will be published separately, giving you time to learn the exercises and perform them in good shape. Practice them often to develop self-confidence and muscle power. After receiving all 5 Mega Moves workouts, you can mix and match them or do all the moves in one big turn.
So prepare to get your body in shape, train like a star, and be on the red carpet with this mega moves series in your Total Gym.