Welcome to Day 19 of SELF's New Year's Challenge ! Today's core training will be a fun way to test how much power you have built in the last few weeks. That's because, if you've held back on weights and can access more, today is your day: We strongly recommend Encourage heavy lifting of the squirrels (See what we did there?) , Consider taking something heavier than 20 pounds to see how it works. Remember, you can always back off when something is too heavy, but you never know what that point is if you do not try. In this challenge, the end of Week 3 is almost over so there is no better time to give it a try. After all, these workouts designed by Alyssa Exposito are set to become increasingly difficult during the month.
It is always important to start each workout with a solid warm up. This is especially true if you want to lift heavier weights like today. You can try this warm-up program which is to be performed before strength training, or pick one from of our curated list here .
Instructions: Perform each exercise for 45 seconds and rest 15 seconds between exercises. At the end of each round you rest for 60-90 seconds.
Beginner: Do 2-3 rounds
Advanced: Make 3-5 rounds
Use a dumbbell for the goblet with goblet.
x 45 seconds
- Begin in an all-vows position with wrists just below the shoulders and knees just below the hips.
- Lift your knees a few inches above the ground so that the weight is in your toes and hands, and reach into the core.
- Step with the right hand forward left foot, keeping your hips level and your knees off the ground. Next step with left hand and right foot forward.
- As a head up, try to keep your knees just inches above the ground if you can. If you can not do this, it is a fine modification to raise the piston (see picture above).
- Continue as long as space permits, and then turn back to your starting point until the time runs out.
x 45 seconds
- You need 1 or 2 dumbbells to do this exercise, but you can do it without weights.
- Standing tall, feet are hip-width apart and the core is locked. If you use 1 weight, hold the weight close to your body with both hands at chest height. If you use two dumbbells, hold one hand on each side.
- Return your hips and bend your knees to squat so your knees can bend at least 90 degrees.
- Return to Starting Position
x 45 seconds
- Begin in a forearm plinth position with the core pulled back and legs outstretched. Lift the hip slightly.
- When the core is firm, turn your hips to the right and down, keeping your legs straight. Stop just above the ground.
- Now turn your hips up through the starting position and then immediately to the left and to the floor.
- Move your hips back and forth in a slow, controlled motion. Keep the legs upright and the core fully engaged.
x 45 seconds
- Stand with your feet together, your core engaged, and your hands either in front or in front of your chest.
- Step right forward (as though you're about to start), and immediately bend both knees 90 degrees, dropping you into a lunge. Keep your core moving and make sure your pelvis is in a neutral position.
- Keep going forward and plunge into a lunge each time it allows your space.
- When you reach the end, go back pedaling by bringing your feet back to the starting point in quick, small steps. Keep a firm core and keep your knees in the pedal.
- Repeat this until the time runs out.
Illustration above: Catherine Servel at Brydges Mackinney. Hair: Tetsuya Yamakata at ArtList. Makeup: Seong Hee at the Julian Watson Agency. Manicure: Julie Kandalec at Bryan Bantry. Stylist: Sara Van Pée in the Quadriga. Model Mia Kang wears Norma Kamali Spliced One-Shoulder Mio Swimsuit, $ 185, normakamali.com ; Nike Compression Sleeve, Similar Styles at nike.com .
Training images and gifs: Photographer: Katie Thompson . Hair: Jerome Cultrera at L & # 39; s Atelier. Makeup: Deanna Melluso at See Management. Stylist: Sara Van Pée in the Quadriga. Training Images: Fabletics Shell, Similar Styles fabletics.com ; Alala Score Seamless Tight, $ 54, alalastyle.com ; Women's Techloom Pro Gray, $ 140, athleticpropulsionlabs.com . Gifs: Alala Surf Bra, $ 85, alalastyle.com ; High Waisted Carbon Takara Legging, $ 109, carbon38.com ; APL Women & # 39; s Techloom Breeze, $ 200, athleticpropulsionlabs.com .