The Complete DASH Diet for Beginners: The Essential Guide to Weight Loss and Live Healthy, published by Rockridge Press Copyright © 2017 by Jennifer Koslo.
Cal / Serv:
Whole wheat ziti macaroni
peeled and diced
low-fat or low-fat milk, divided
freshly ground black pepper
Grated, low-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook the noodles al dente.
- Add the butternut squash and 1/2 cup milk in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Season with black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover it and cook until the fork is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and Dijon mustard to a blender. Puree everything smoothly.
- Meanwhile set up a large frying pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the pumpkin puree and the remaining 1/2 cup of milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes until thickened. Add the cheese and stir to mix.
- Add the noodles to the frying pan and stir to mix.
- Serve immediately.
Diced and peeled butternut squash can be found in the frozen zone or in the product range of large grocery stores and most big-box chains.
Total Calories: 373; Total fat: 10 g; saturated fat: 2 g; Total carbohydrate: 59 g; Fiber: 10 g; Protein: 14g
Excerpt from The Complete DASH Beginner's Diet: The Essential Guide to Weight Loss and Healthy Living edited by Rockridge Press. Copyright © 2017 by Jennifer Koslo.