A woman saw that a living worm developed in her face. Another felt cerebrospinal fluid leak from her nose, and a third unfortunate victim had a maggot in her leg for months. No, these are not a plotline of a horror movie. These are real physical issues that made headlines in 2018. We have compiled seven of the most bizarre health stories of the past 12 months. So you can think about how funny this year really was (and be grateful that they did not do it for you). (See also: A woman died of brain-eating amoeba after using a neti pot (this is the reason))
A worm lived on the face of a woman
All of our worst nightmares came true when a woman in Russia saw a live worm in front of her face. The 32-year-old first noticed a bump under her eye, which moved over her eye a few days later. Ten days later, the bump got stuck in her upper lip. After two weeks, the woman went to a doctor where a live parasite was surgically removed and identified as Dirofilaria repens the long, thin white worm above. This parasite normally infects animals, but if a human ends up as a host, a mosquito is to blame. (See also: A Florida woman discovers deeply embedded maggot in her groin)
Amoeba ate the brain of a woman after using a neti pot
After a seizure, a 69-year-old woman was taken to a hospital in Seattle admitted. The doctors initially believed that she had a brain tumor, but it turned out to be a much more deadly condition that literally killed her. A rare amoeba ( Balamuthia mandrillaris ) enjoyed her brain. She contracted the infection a year or so earlier after using non-sterile water in a neti pot (a small device that rinses the nasal cavities to clear congestion). The woman died unfortunately.
A man coughed up a blood clot in the shape of his lungs 
A California man almost formulated the statement, "I coughed up a lung." The 36-year-old was admitted to intensive care with chronic heart failure and regularly coughed up blood and mucus throughout his stay in hospital. But a coughing fit was worse than the others. He coughed up a tree-like blood clot in a perfect shape of his right bronchial tree. The man died of heart failure complications the following week.
Cerebral Fluid Caused A Woman's Mouth
An Omaha woman was told for years that allergies were the cause of her chronic runny nose and severe headache. Eventually, she discovered the real guilty party: liquid was pouring out of the environment of her brain. In the case of the doctors, a cerebrospinal fluid was detected in her, apparently beginning after a car accident in 2013. Since then, she lost about 8 ounces of fluid daily. Her doctors were able to stuff her leak with her own fat tissue. (See also: This woman's head swelled to an insane size due to an allergic reaction to hair dye.)
A maggot has been hiding in the groin of a woman for months
Ingrown hair was actually a larva that penetrated under the skin? This happened to a 36-year-old woman in Florida, who had a leg lesion for months before the doctors found out the cause. The grub embedded itself in her skin when she was on honeymoon in Belize, and stayed there for some time. Talk about an unwanted guest. The lesion healed shortly after the larva was removed. (See also: A moving bump on this woman's face turned out to be a live worm)
Electric shocks in a woman's leg were caused by a tapeworm
A 35-year-old French woman went to the emergency room after she had felt "electric shocks" in her legs. She had symptoms of aggravation and repeated falls for months. The doctors finally discovered that a parasite had reached its ninth vertebra. The doctors found that it was the tapeworm Echinococcus granulosus which is most common in animals. The woman made a full recovery after being removed.
Doctors removed a 132-pound tumor from a woman's abdomen
Photo: Danbury Hospital
Earlier this year, doctors in Connecticut removed a benign mucinous ovarian tumor from a 38-year-old woman 132 pounds. She noticed for the first time that something was going on as she quickly gained weight in the abdomen. She won about 10 pounds every week. A gynecologist subsequently identified the tumor with a CT scan. It became so big that the woman had to use a wheelchair and could barely digest food. Fortunately, the doctors were able to remove the tumor after five hours of surgery. (Related: This woman found 100 mites in her eyes after not washing her pillowcase for 5 years)
This story was originally published on Health.com by Samantha Lauriello.