You have promised yourself not to eat sweets for two months. Or maybe you commit yourself to a gluten-free life. Or you just want to cook (and bake) with healthier, more nutritious foods. Get your biscuit, cook gluten-free and healthy by filling these six gluten-free baking flours instead of all-purpose stock. There are so many rivers that are better for you (we speak flours from nuts, whole grains, coconuts, etc.) that you can easily find in your grocery store and have fun experimenting.
Because we bet you wonder: There are (unfortunately) no exact measures to trade these flours for all-purpose flour in recipes. Some may be 1
Almond flour is the king of gluten-free flours. The finely ground nut gives your product a nutty, balanced taste and gives the recipes that use it more moisture and tenderness. As with any nut, almond flour has a higher fat content than other flours and adds fiber and protein to your diet. It is a good choice for baked goods with a light crumb structure: pancakes, muffins, cakes, etc.
If you are adventurous and want to taste it in bread, go lightly and use only 25 percent almond flour the entire percentage of your flour mix (aka the other 75 percent are general purpose). You can also use almond flour as a substitute for bread crumbs or for thickening sauces and soups.
It can generally be assumed that almond flour can be used in a ratio of 1: 1 to other gluten-containing flours. But as a passionate baker, I tell you: do not do that. Although almond flour may definitely be the only flour in your product for some baked goods, do not use it as an exact substitute for your favorite recipe. Almond flour usually leaves a product slightly denser and sometimes requires the addition of an additional egg.
What can not oat?! They make a breakfast overnight in the fridge, they make the creamiest milk-free milk, and now we recommend you to use the grain for baking. The best part? You can do it at home by simply mixing oatmeal until you get a fine flour. Oatmeal is my preferred choice when I want to add a crumbly and tough texture to baked goods that I dream of (not just me?).
Like almond flour, oatmeal should be used especially for lighter textures. Baked goods such as muffins, cakes, biscuits, crepes, pancakes and other fast breads. Oat is the best flour to prepare a crumbly spread for your vegan desserts. Important to note: oats are gluten-free in their purest form, but some are processed in a plant with wheat, so cross-contamination can be a problem. Pay attention to the packaging on "gluten-free".
Do not be fooled by the word "wheat" in this wheat-free grain. Buckwheat and therefore buckwheat flour is naturally gluten-free. Buckwheat flour gives the products a rich, nutty flavor. They are most commonly used in Japan to produce soba noodles, galettes in France, blinis (pancakes) in Eastern Europe, and chapati in various regions of India. This flour is also a good supplement to yeast bread, but only if brown rice flour is added to the mixture.
Brown rice flour
Brown flour is the most versatile flour in the group. Brown rice flour alone in a recipe can make things rubbery, tough and bland. When added to other gluten-free flours (such as buckwheat), brown rice flour adds elasticity and texture and makes the flavors of the other flours shine. How nice, right? This is another that helps to give the final product a crumbly consistency.
Brown rice flour is almost always necessary for yeast bread and can be used in all baking recipes, especially with pie dough. It is also great for gluten-free cooking tasks, such as thickening sauces, adding protein to vegan soups, making healthy pasta, and "breading" meat and vegetables.
Coconut flour is a fine flour, but it can be ultra-absorbent when used alone, and usually does not leave much crumb structure, and at best a dense one. Like brown rice flour, coconut flour works when blended with other gluten-free flours. Look at these coconut flour recipes for the evidence. Coconut flour is great for biscuits, muffins, granolas, brownies and fast bread. If you use coconut flour, use it for only 25 to 40 percent of your flour mix and add an extra egg to get extra binding properties.
Sorghum flour is a mild, sweet flour that adds a soft flour bite to baked goods. It should be used in recipes that do not require a lot of flour. Think of brownies, peanut butter biscuits and soufflés. If you stand alone as the sole flour, it is recommended to mix the sorghum flour with starches such as tapioca or potatoes to achieve better binding. If you mix sorghum with other flours, use it as 1/3 of your flour mixture.
The Baker's Bottom Line
There's a lot better for you baking flour. Some are more nutritious, others taste even better and all good ones are gluten-free. Yes, it's a bit of testing and getting used to, but do not you swear that you'll get better in 2019?