Created for Greatist by the experts at Healthline. Continue reading
We offer products that we believe will be useful to our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here is our process.
Finding the right full-spectrum CBD tincture for you from the sea of eleven thousand (and growing) options can be overwhelming. This is why we’ve reviewed a number of quality brands and selected only the best so that you can better understand everything.
CBD is an abbreviation for cannabidiol, one of more than 1
One cannabinoid that you will likely recognize is THC (oh, high There). However, CBD and THC work differently. CBD does not have the same intoxicating effects, but it shows promise as a treatment for some conditions. Hence, it is an attractive option for symptom relief.
Does CBD Work?
More research is needed, but preliminary studies have shown that CBD could be a relatively safe and effective treatment for a wide variety of health problems, including:
CBD comes in different types, which differ depending on the cannabinoid compounds it contains:
- The whole spectrum: contains all of the plant’s cannabinoids, including THC
- Broad spectrum: contains any number of cannabinoids, but no THC
- CBD isolate: pure cannabidiol (CBD), no THC or other cannabinoids
Full spectrum CBD could increase the benefits due to the entourage effect. The theory is that “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” when it comes to the compounds in the cannabis plant. Mixing cannabinoids (like offering full spectrum products) is said to produce better results – but this has not been proven.
Is full spectrum CBD legal?
Hemp-derived CBD has been federally abolished, but what does that mean for you? This means that CBD products with less than 0.3 percent THC are now legal nationwide. However, you still need to check your state’s regulations as CBD may still be banned in your area of residence.
CBD oils and tinctures have similar therapeutic claims for reducing symptoms such as pain, inflammation, and anxiety, but they are made in different ways.
- CBD tincture: Simply put, the cannabis is soaked in alcohol (or oil for a softer taste) and water and heated slowly.
- CBD oil: Most often, the CBD is diffused into a carrier oil (such as coconut or sunflower oil).
Full spectrum CBD tinctures can get a little more exciting with added flavors, essential oils, and herbs, and offer an endless variety of choices.
There are literally hundreds of CBD products out there, so finding the right one for you can be overwhelming.
We selected these products based on criteria that we believe are good indicators of safety, quality and transparency. (FYI, the CBD itself didn’t make our top picks stand out from the crowd.)
Each product in this article:
- is manufactured by a company that provides evidence of third party testing by an ISO 17025 compliant laboratory
- is made from hemp grown in the USA
- According to the certificate of analysis (COA), it does not contain more than 0.3 percent THC
- meets the specified safety levels for pesticides, heavy metals, solvent residues and mold according to the COA
We also considered:
- Company certifications and manufacturing processes
- Product strength
- Total ingredients
- User trust and brand reputation indicators such as:
- Customer ratings
- whether the company has been subjected to an FDA warning letter
- whether the company makes unsupported health claims
Full-spectrum CBD tinctures are available across the price range.
$ = under $ 50
$$ = $ 50-75
$$$ = over $ 75
Whether you’re looking for a beginner-friendly tincture or you’re ready to invest in a high-quality, high-volume option, there is a full-spectrum CBD tincture for you.
1. Absolute natural full spectrum CBD tincture
- Price: $$$
- CBD per serving: 33 milligrams
- Total CBD: 1,000 milligrams
Absolute Nature Full Spectrum CBD Tincture is made with just two ingredients: whole plant CBD oil and medium chain triglyceride oil (MCT). It is not genetically modified and contains high levels of CBD as well as other naturally occurring cannabinoids and beneficial compounds from the cannabis plant to get the best possible benefit without the high.
It’s a bit expensive, but it has the highest total CBD on our list and is organically grown with no chemicals, additives, or preservatives.
Order Absolute natural full spectrum CBD tincture.
2. The CBD Distillery Full Spectrum CBD Tincture
- Price: $
- CBD per serving: 17 milligrams
- Total CBD: 500 milligrams
This CBD distillery full spectrum CBD tincture also combines just CBD oil and MCT oil. The company claims that naturally occurring plant proteins, minerals, and vitamins enhance the overall benefits of the cannabis plant without potentially intoxicating effects.
This selection is a little bit easy on your wallet, but you don’t have to compromise – it’s still GMO-free and grown in the US.
Order The CBD Distillery Full Spectrum CBD Tincture.
3. Kanibi full spectrum CBD oil tincture
- Price: $$
- CBD per serving: 25 milligrams
- Total CBD: 750 milligrams
Kanibi Full Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture is made from organically grown Kentucky hemp and combined with MCT oil as a carrier oil. The cannabis contains a full spectrum of cannabinoids to maximize the entourage effect (just in case it’s real!).
This product is also available in a 1,500 milligram bottle and in a variety of flavors including cones, cinnamon, and chocolate mint.
Order Kanibi full spectrum CBD oil tincture.
4. Lazarus Naturals highly potent full spectrum CBD tincture
- Price: $
- CBD per serving: 50 milligrams
- Total CBD: 750 milligrams
Lazarus Naturals’ highly potent, full-spectrum CBD tincture is a great option for those who want a higher concentration of CBD without a higher price. It’s also made only from natural, vegan ingredients.
This product isn’t flavored, but if that’s not your thing, Lazarus Naturals also offers a selection of infused tinctures that are naturally flavored with extracts and terpenes.
Order Lazarus Naturals Highly effective CBD tincture with a full spectrum.
5. RE Botanicals Hemp full spectrum classic tincture
- Price: $$$
- CBD per serving: 25 milligrams
- Total CBD: 2,500 milligrams
RE Botanicals Hemp Full Spectrum Classic tincture makes it easy with just two ingredients: full spectrum organic hemp and certified organic MCT coconut oil. This easy-to-take liquid tincture has a beautiful light golden color and a pure hemp taste.
Bonus for the benefactors: One percent of RE Botanicals’ sales is donated to regenerative agriculture and helps farmers create healthier soils.
Order RE Botanicals Hemp full spectrum classic tincture.
Our list is hardly complete – there are so many options. If you haven’t found your favorite full-spectrum CBD tincture on our list, it’s important to be informed as you seek out your perfect match.
Here are some best practices when buying a quality CBD product:
- Read the label carefully understand what you are getting.
- Make sure the manufacturer Certificate of Analysis (COA) evidence of third party testing is available and up to date.
- Remember that CBD source and type. Search Hemp from the USAespecially due to agricultural regulations.
- Make sure the strain of hemp is legal at the federal level: every CBD product must contain less than 0.3 percent THC.
- Read Customer reviews – how many of them. And then read a few more. These will help you understand which products are legitimate and best for your needs.
- Avoid products with a number of negative reviews and / or formal complaints – cross them off your list.
- Don’t fall in love with any marketing jargon for snake oil. CBD products are not a panacea.
To use a CBD tincture, drop the desired amount under your tongue, hold it there a little, and then swallow. The CBD absorbs through the membranes in your mouth, which allows you to feel the effects faster than if you had eaten it.
Remember: Studies have shown that taking CBD with high-fat meals can increase side effects. So stick to lighter meals at least first.
Wondering how much full-spectrum CBD tincture to take? Whether you’re a newbie to CBD or a seasoned user just trying a new product, dosing can be tricky. Stick to the golden rule of dosing: go low and slow.
Most full-spectrum tinctures have a recommended dosage, but that doesn’t mean you have to start there. You can start with half that amount and see how that feels. You can also speak to your doctor to find out what he would recommend.
In general, CBD is considered safe. However, more research is needed on CBD safety, and specifically on the interaction of CBD with other drugs or medications.
Currently, the FDA does not guarantee the safety of CBD products, with the exception of an approved substance that has been shown to help with seizures. If you’re not sure whether CBD is right for you, talk to your doctor.
As with most supplements, drugs, or therapies, side effects are possible when using CBD. Possible side effects can be:
You can minimize the risk of side effects by following the manufacturer’s dosage instructions, but you can also speak to your doctor. It is always a good idea to see a doctor for recommendations on what is right for your body.
Tinctures are a common way to get the full spectrum benefits of CBD. Just make sure you are only using products that can be proven to contain 0.3 percent THC or less.
There are many full-spectrum CBD tinctures to choose from, but quality is everything. Do your research and discuss a new CBD regimen with your doctor.
Is CBD Legal? Marijuana-derived CBD products are illegal at the federal level, but legal under some state laws. Hemp-derived CBD products (containing less than 0.3 percent THC) are legal at the federal level, but are still illegal under some state laws. Check the laws of your state and those of every place you travel. Note that nonprescription CBD products are not FDA approved and may be inaccurately labeled.