If you've seen the 2018 New York City Marathon on Sunday – either personally or remotely – there's a chance that you stand out from the over 50,000 athletes who experience physical pain, fatigue and mentality permeated, inspired 26.2 miles across the five boroughs of the city. For many viewers, whether normal runners or not, this inspiration developed into a unique thought: I want to be one of those athletes.
However, unfortunately, simply wants to run this iconic NYC race is not enough to guarantee entry. The New York Marathon ranks directly behind the Boston Marathon (1
There are four ways to enter the New York City Marathon: winning the lottery, fundraising, completing the 9 + 1 program and qualifying in another race.
If you're serious about attacking next November, you have several options. The first: the sign system, also called lottery. The chances are quite small that you will actually get a bib this way – less than 15 percent of the applicants were successful last year – but admission is free and only takes a few minutes. So you should try it too. The time slot until applies to the drawing from January 14 to February 14, 2019, and the raffle will take place on February 27, 2019. The link to participate in the raffle will be published closer on the race website January. There is also a raffle that was expanded in 2019 and gives 262 winners a free entry (they get a seat, but still have to pay the entry fee) for the 2019 race and a pair of New Balance socks. You can enter the lottery here .
If you are looking for an even safer way, you can raise money for one of the race's charity partners (for a full list, see ) ) and get a guaranteed place in the 2019 race. Remember that the fundraising requirements are quite high – at least $ 2,500. For more information on running for charity events, visit the race website .
Another route that is a good choice for Big Apple residents (especially those who race year-round) is deciding with the New York Road Runners, the non-profit organization that will run the marathon 9 + 1 or 9 + 1K programs. Both programs include membership in NYRR (the annual registration costs $ 40 for adults) and participation in 9 NYRR races. In addition, the 9 + 1 program requires voluntary participation in a NYRR event (which is +1) during a calendar year, and the 9 + 1K program requires the donation of $ 1,000 to the youth and welfare programs of NYRR. If you meet one of these requirements between January 1 and December 31, 2019, you can guarantee your entry into the 2020 race. Learn more here .
After all, first-timers can secure a starting position in what is probably the most difficult approach by achieving a qualification time for their age group and gender in half or full-time. Marathon distance. These times are not easy: women ages 18 to 34, for example, need a full marathon at 3:13:00 (which is 7:21 per mph) or a half at 1:32:00 (a 7:01 per mile step ). To qualify for the 2019 race, you must meet this standard on certain races between January 1st and December 31st, 2018, and then, between January 14th and February 14th, 2019, you must have a guaranteed entry through the NYRR website apply. See here for a complete list of time standards, sanctioned races and more info.
Are you looking for a race that is not as demanding but just as rewarding? Here are four other marathons across the country that are great options:
- About: This iconic race through the Windy City is known for being shallow, fast and fun. It is also one of six World Marathon Majors, the largest and most prestigious 26.2-mile race in the world, meaning that every year thousands of athletes – both amateurs and elite – participate.
- When: 13. October 2019  How to get admission: Apply for the lottery until Thursday, November 29, at 3:00 pm EUROPEAN SUMMER TIME. The odds of getting through this method change every year, but in general it's a lot easier than the NYC lottery. According to Runner's World 64 percent of the participants achieved a starting position for the 2015 race. Similar to New York, first-time entrants can also guarantee entry by collecting money for one of the race's charity partners (at least 1,250 USD per runner) or by running a qualifying time in another marathon in the last two years. These time standards are simpler than in New York, although they are still tough – women ages 16 to 29 years must run at 3:35:00 am to 2:26 pm (equivalent to a pace of 8:12 per mile).
- Further information: chicagomarathon. com
Marine Corps Marathon
- Info: The "People's Marathon" is organized by men and women of the US Marine Corps this annual race through Arlington, Virginia and Washington, DC. Participants rave about the landmarked course and family-friendly weekend events.
- When: 27. October 2019
- How to Get Inlet: The registration process unfolds over several waves. Active military personnel can register by registering between 6 and 11 March 2019. Then every runner can register for the first entry on March 19th. From there, runners will be able to enter the lottery from March 20-26 (all you need to know is that your chances may be high – only 18 percent of applicants received a bib in 2015, The Washington Post ). Guaranteed entry options include charity entries and participation in the Marine Corps 17.75K on March 23, 2019.
- Further information: marinemarathon.com
Philadelphia Marathon  About: This flat, fast circuit through Philly's neighborhoods and along its famed Schuylkill River attracts thousands of professional and amateur players – and thousands more – each year.
Los Angeles Marathon
- Info: This annual track and its "Stadium to Sea" course brings thousands of visitors runners – both elite and amateurs – from Dodger Stadium to Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and more, to a coastal destination next to Santa Monica Pier. When: 24. March 2019
- How to Gain Entry: Just register online here .
- Further information: lamarathon.com